10:27 PM

Something sweet

Anyone ever heard of the "Picasso of Pastry," Pierre Hermé?  Well, I hadn't until recently.  But apparently most Japanese people have heard of him, and he has a shop in Tokyo.

And on Monday afternoon, Hiroko and I got to go to the press reception for the unveiling of his new line of sweets, at the unbelievably fabulous New Otani Hotel.  Seriously, this place is amazing!  And it has one of the most fantastically gorgeous Japanese gardens I have ever seen. Ever.
Oh yeah, and the sweets were nothing to sneeze at either ;-P  It was basically like a big, free dessert buffet. I have no idea how much food they must have made for it. (To give you a slight idea, there was an open-to-the-public party version of the event that evening--basically the same deal, only they charged about $140 a head).
Fancy banquet room

And the parade of sweets


And finally, the man himself:
It was a really fantastic event. Hiroko and I were suffering from major sugar shock afterward (>_<)  It was also kind of weird, cause the chef was speaking in French, and then his translator put it in Japanese--so I was kind of half listening to each language  ;-P  Reminded me how sad it is that I really can't speak French anymore.   I end up saying things like "le francais ga wakarimasu."  .... yeah.
At any rate, "yum!"

1 people love me:

Anonymous said...

"Picasso" looks as if he has been sampling his own wares. They look yummy.

FYI -- I liked your idea in a previous posting to do more frequent updates. When can we expect this to begin?