11:17 PM

Job Stuff

So, it seems like the job stuff is getting going a bit more. ^_^
Thursday I had my interview at Metropolis. The building is in Omotesando, which is an incredibly ritzy area of Tokyo--on my way to the interview I walked by Prada, Cartier, Dolce & Gabana, Nanette Lepore...and those were just the names I recognized!
Anyway, I got to the station 20 minutes early, but さすが me--I got horribly lost. It was a pretty easy route: walk down the street from the station, and turn right at Prada. First I overshot the Prada store--which being Prada, was too fancy to be labeled properly--and had to turn back. Then, cause I was all turned around, I went the wrong way at the corner, and ended up in 5丁目 instead of 3丁目. *sigh* With the result that I was about 10 minutes late.
Not. Good.
I mean, that's not exactly the way to make a good impression.
And the interview itself was really short, because I'd been supposed to come in at 11, and they had another person coming in at 11:30.
Other than that, though, I felt like the interview itself went fairly well. They said that they had liked my resume and cover letter, and seemed like they were interested in talking to me more, if there had been time. Also, I feel like I was able to show off my Japanese a bit, too. One of the editors--probably half (perfect Japanese, perfect English)--started talking to me in Japanese; 日本語、大丈夫ですか, that sort of thing, and I think I carried it off pretty well.
Before I left, they gave me a sort of a writing test to take home: a sort of promotional flyer from a restaurant, outlining their new menu (in Japanese, of course), and then I was supposed to turn that into a 100-word blurb for Metropolis's "Word of Mouth" section. They told me to get it to them by the weekend, but I sent it in the same day--hoping to impress a bit with speed, I guess. ^_^
Anyway, they said they would be making a decision within the next two weeks.

Also, I found out that I get an interview with the Japan Times, too! That's the major English-language newspaper in Tokyo. They asked me to come in on the 19th, when I'll have to do the combo test-interview thing again. But, this time I was told that I'm allowed to use my dictionary!!! Which was such a relief. I mean, hearing that, I feel like whatever they throw at me, bring it on! You know?
^_^

So I'll let y'all know how that goes.

2 people love me:

Anonymous said...

this is totally random, but i JUST got a chance to watch the new PV, its the TWINS!!! and-- they're linked by a red string! string of ume! fate string!!! ok i might be a little dorky...

wait, it is the twins right? i didn't just mistake like taki and tsubasa for the twins of Fuma.... oh dear, my head is getting a lil' overloaded (just finished Robinson Crusoe at 400ish pages and am 500 pages into Tom Jones and am reeling with the tendency to prolixity (a vice, of which, i would hastily suffer many to be convicted and hanged of...in fact, it has even affected my mind and ability to form sentences or correspondence which is less than three pages... if you know what i mean...

in any case, i love you dear and hope you are still enjoying japan and help me with the PV it's going to trouble my mind...

Anonymous said...

ok i was so excited about the twins I FORGOT TO READ YOUR BLOG.

where you tell everyone that its the twins, and pot pics of how lovely you are (all i'm really interested in, obvi)

but despite the fact that i posted all this after the wrong blog, i am excited to hear about Metropolis and the Japan Times. I hope you get one or both and love you, dear! hope you are having fun traveling!