10:34 PM

But cultural literacy counts for something...right?

So, I have a bad habit. Well, several actually, but the one that's coming to mind at the moment is the one where I spend many many hours--hours which could perhaps be devoted to homework--watching Japanese dramas. I mean, they're in Japanese after all...so it's sort of a form of studying...right?
Anyway, this past weekend was 「たった一つの恋」 "Just One Love." As you can probably tell from the title, it's your basic sappy, tragic love story--in this case about a blue-collar boy who falls for a rich girl (who just happens to be recovering from leukemia...). Not a bad example of the genre by any means, so interesting to me (cause I'm a sucker for those types of stories).
But the reason I started watching it in the first place is because I had heard that the story takes place in Yokohama, so watching the show for me really became more about playing the "oh--I've been there!" game. Pacifico Yokohama was in the background of practically every other shot, and I recognized a whole bunch more places--and found even more that made me think, "oh, I'll have to go there sometime!" Just another reminder that I seriously live in one of the coolest cities ever!
I was reminded of that again tonight, walking home. I stopped in after school at this grocery store near Pacifico, that I'd heard from other students was really good. Anyway, it was dark by the time I started home, and it was just absolutely gorgeous walking along the water, amid all the skyscrapers all lit up, and the giant ferris wheel flashing all different colors...
I really love Yokohama.

2 people love me:

Anonymous said...

Many become fluent in another language by watching TV so there is pedagogical value to watching even sappy soap operas. However, don't let it interfere with doing your kanji quizzes.

You know who.

Anonymous said...

I say again "Who is this anonymous person" and why does she use words like pedagogical?