4:13 PM

Last day in Hakodate

Packed and ready to go, finally it was my last day in Hakodate...sadness! I had planned to take the train down from Hakodate (cheaper than flying and it wasn't as if I was in any rush). My train didn't leave until 10:40, so my host family took me down to the Asaichi, or Morning Market, to walk around and have breakfast. The asaichi is a daily morning fish market down by Hakodate station, where you can buy pretty much anything that comes from the sea, just about as fresh as you can get it. And I mean that in the literal sense--one of the buildings had a large tank, full of squid swimming around.For a small fee, you can get a fishing pole and catch one of the squid. You put it in a bucket, and about five minutes later they bring it to you all chopped up on a plate, and~voila~sashimi! It was so fresh, some of the tentacles were still wriggling around on the plate! (A little bit creepy--I made sure I only ate the dead parts). Here's a video--Satoshi catches the squid!
And then....we eat!

P.S. Here's a picture, finally, of my host family! Well, part of it anyway. I never did manage to get a good opportunity to snap a picture of everyone all together, but--
On the left is Sae, my host sister; Satoshi is in the middle; and the one on the right is actually my host mom's younger sister, Aunt Hami, who often came over to hang out with us.

0 people love me: